Posted on

Here are some of our most commonly asked questions:

Q: Who hosts the Ribble Life Together partnership

A: Ribble Rivers Trust is the host and lead partner.

Q: I’m interested in volunteering- how can I get involved?

A: Volunteers are vital to our success and getting involved is very easy! Activities include tree planting, invasive species control, river clean ups, river walkovers and more- click here to go to our main website for more information or send your name, contact number and email address to admin@ribbletrust.com and we’ll add you to our mailing list.

Q: Can I make a donation to the Trust?

A: There are a number of ways to support the Trust; firstly, you can donate through our main website by following clicking here, you can also text the word TREE26 followed by the amount you would like to donate to 70070 or you could become a member and receive our annual newsletters, midyear e-newsletters, member discounts and more. To find out more information about becoming a member please follow click here.

All money donated goes towards the Ribble Rivers Trust’s core funds.

Q: Are you doing anything about invasive species such as Himalayan balsam?

A: Invasive species are a major threat to native riverine species and can have a dramatic detrimental effect on ecosystems. Together with landowners we are working to try and control and reduce the coverage of these species; this is done by our volunteers who help us by taking part in organised balsam bashing days and also by reporting invasive species on our Lancashire  invasives  website. 

The Trust is also taking part in an ongoing trial with CABI (Centre for Agriculture and Biosciences International) to see if natural control methods may be successful. More information is available by following this link to last year’s newsletter.

Q: I’d like to meet the team- can I find you at any shows or events?

A: Attending events is a great way for us to spread the word about the work we do, click on the ‘Event’s’ and ‘What’s on’ tabs to see our calendar or follow us on social media too see where we are next. We are all passionate about our work and we’d love to talk to you!

Q: How do you plan future projects and decide where needs the work the most?

A:  The Ribble Trust’s aim is to improve the catchment for the benefit of wildlife and people and so when we start to plan potential projects we focus on the areas where we know river quality and habitat is poor, we then go through the process of seeking grants from likeminded organisations in order to fund our activities which range from habitat improvements, agricultural land improvements, educational activities and more.

Q: Where does your funding come from?

A: All the work the Trust carries out is funded by grants, donations from the public and volunteers. Whilst each grant we receive funds a specific project or activity, donations are used to cover our core costs which covers the ‘running costs’ of the Trust such as equipment and vehicles.

Q: Are you involved with any other projects?

A: Currently there are over a dozen projects being undertaken although many of these overlap in terms of the work being carried out and the long term goals. The Ribble Life Together is by far our biggest project with some being much smaller!

Q: Do you work in partnership with any other organisations?

A:  There are many different organisations that we work alongside and we are proud of the relationships we create with our partners; working together means we can share knowledge, target larger areas and reach more people. Some organisations we work with include Natural England, United Utilities, DEFRA, the Forest of Bowland AONB, the Woodland Trust and the Environment Agency to name just a few.

Q: Can I fish the Ribble?

A: The Ribble Trust Angling Passport Scheme is an easy and affordable way to fish some beautiful rivers and streams in the Ribble catchment. There are various locations available and the scheme is designed to be affordable- all you need is a rod license and equipment. For more information or to buy tokens visit our website.

Q: Who do I report suspected pollution incidents or suspected poaching too?

A: Poaching or pollution incidents should be reported to the Environment Agency on their 24 hour free-phone number 0800 807060. This number is free to call from landlines and mobile phones.